- Black cohosh is an herb sold as a dietary supplement in the United States.
- Black cohosh is used for hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms.
- Although preliminary evidence is encouraging, the currently available data are not sufficient to support a recommendation on the use of black cohosh for menopausal symptoms. The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) at the National Institutes of Health is funding arigorous scientific study to determine whether treatment with black cohosh reduces the frequency and intensity of hot flashes, and other menopausal symptoms.
- In 2001, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists stated, primarily on the basis ofconsensus and expert opinion, that black cohosh may be helpful in the short term (6 months or less) for women with vasomotor symptoms of menopause .
- Although few adverse events have been reported, long-term safety data are not available.